The estate office was always at Home Farm.
|???||To 1836||Bromley family and heirs|
|1836||1845||John Lewis Moilliet|
|1845||1857||his widow Mrs Amelia Moillet lived at the Hall, son James lived at the Elms|
|1857||until sold on 8 Feb 1867|| owned by James Moillett and his wife? who died Nov 5 1848Moillett does not die until 1878 though, so does he carry on living at the Elms?
The 1866 estate map must be from when the Jones family bought it and the “bought by father” on the 1866 map refers to James Moillett
|1867||1880||Joseph Jones (his son Joseph died in 1862 aged 18)|
|1880||Aug 5 1888||John Joseph Jones,cousin of Joseph Jones and inherited upon his death, due to death of heir|
|1888||7 Feb 1902||William Jones (brother of JJJ) lived at Abberley Hall with wife Mary until his death in 1902 his eldest son inherits|
|1902||1910||Frederick William Jones married to Diana Sarah StJohn by 1881, lived in Altringham from 1881 to 1901. 8 children at home in 1901 census ranging from 6 months to 22 years old.|
|1910||23 Feb 1935||James Arthur Jones (younger brother) became Lord of the Manor– lived the Old Parsonage at Ombersley (his wife didn’t like the house).1911 census – Hall empty except for the Butler
1916: House and contents sold for £10,000 and the school was established – 120 acres, 9 cottages. School built house on Abberley Hill on 2 acres bought from Arthur Jones. Clocktower retained though until 1939
The estate continued to operate as slimmed down unit until the late 1930s when Mr Arthur Astley Jones sold off most of the property.
|1935||until at least 1939||Arthur Astley Jones presumably FW Jones’s son Georgie, born in 1879 – I was told that the Astley-Jones lived on the Tenbury road in house that looks as though it dates from the 1920s or 30s, high above the road, close to Tall Trees Stoves|
The Elms – part of the estate from mid 19th century to approx. 1920
The Elms came into the Abberley Hall estate via a wife marrying into the Moilett family
|1840s||James Moilett (son of Amelia and John Moilett)|
|1876 approx||Fanny Louisa Pearson, widow of the vicar of Great Witley, (she gave a chalice and patten to the new church rebuilt after a fire by J Jones) (Manor of Abberley)|
|1901||Crompton and Eleanor Domville with 3 sons, 1 daughter and 6 servants. Other servants lived in the Lodge. (1901 census)|
|1911||owned by Lt Col Alfred Edwin Jones, but family away at time of census, and not yet located elsewhere|
|1912||Lt Col Alfred Edwin Jones (Kelly’s Directory)|
|By 1916 to 1946||Sir Richard and Lady Brook lived at the Elms, initially renting and later buying the property, they relocated the large fireplace in the hall from their Cheshire ancestral home and built the two wings.|
|1946||sold to Mr and Mrs Jack Morton and becomes a Country House hotel.|
Other notable houses in Abberley
From 1880s to at least 1901, the Estate’s land agent Alfred Dudley Clarke lived at Firleigh (or Tump House as it’s now called)
By 1911, Apostles Oak was used as Mr Samson, the land agent’s house
Kate Andrew researched and provided these timelines.