To see highlights from the history of the WI, selected by Anne Stamper, Honorary archivist, click on the WI logo
Publications about the history of the WI:
- Women’s Institutes: Britain in Pictures by Cicely McCall (1943)
- The Living Village: a report on rural life in England & Wales, based on actual village scrapbooks, Paul Jennings (Country Book Club; 2nd edition, 1969) Jennings’ book provides an anthology of and commentary on the 2000+ WI scrapbooks created by members as part of the National Federation of WI’s 50th Anniversary in 1965.
- Jam and Jerusalem: A pictorial history of the Women’s Institute, Simon Goodenough (Collins, 1977)
- Madam President: fellow members – the story of the Worcestershire Federation of Women’s Institutes, Dorothy E Williams (Worcestershire Federation of Women’s Institutes, 1980)
- The Acceptable Face of Feminism: The Women’s Institute as a Social Movement, Maggie Andrews (1997, Lawrence & Wishart Ltd)
- A Force To Be Reckoned With: A History of the Women’s Institute, Jane Robinson (Virago, 2012)